A couple of weekend’s back the boyfriend and I decided to hire a car and take a little day trip to North Wales and to Chester Zoo. If you have never heard of the three peaks challenge look it up. I’ve been wanting to complete the three peaks challenge since I arrived in the UK. Climbing the three tallest mountains in the UK in 24 hours, Ben Nevis (Scotland), Snowdon (Wales) and Scafell Pike (England). It is nice to dream but I don’t think I could ever complete it in 24 hours, I'm not that fit. So we decided to only drive through Snowdonia and look at the scenery as it could take 5 hours to climb the mountain and we only had the car for the day.



Up over the mountain and off we headed to Caernarfon Castle. A little something to learn about my boyfriend and I is we love going to castles; it’s kind of our thing. This is labelled as one of the biggest Castles in Wales. Back in the day stone walls were built around the whole Caernarfon town, the area of the town is what the size of the castle used to be. Nowadays some walls have been removed and it is just the main castle that still stands.





The Edwardian town and castle acted as the administrative centre of north Wales and as a result the defences were built on a grand scale. The little seaside town was beautiful everyone was so kind and friendly, they pointed us in the direction of a carpark and all so told us where the best place to get fish'n chips, (Sorry Wales but New Zealand fish'n chips are still the best I have ever had) the food wasn't bad it was much better than the fish'n chips I had in Brighton. After finishing our lunch we decided to jump back in the car and head to Chester Zoo.



CHESTER ZOO
Let me start off by saying this is one of the best zoos I have ever been to, not only did they have a baby elephant (squeals with excitement) but they had enclosures that you could walk through and get so close to them that you could touch them if there wasn't a piece of glass in between you and the animal. My favourite enclosure out of all of them was the bat cave you could physically walk through the cave and the bats would fly around you land on you, you could feel there wings brush up against you, bats are nocturnal so the cave was dark and you couldn't see them without the back light so walking around with only touch and hearing senses just made the experience so much better.



Chester Zoo is named the best zoo in the UK and is seventh in the world. One thing I should suggest is wear good walking shoes as it is one of the largest zoos in the UK at 100 acres and bring lots of snacks and water cause that shit is expensive. Tickets are on the pricey side as it is £28 an adult and £24 as a child but if you book online you save yourself 10%. I guess the prices are as high as they are a registered charity and get no funding from the Government.






I usually love going to zoos but sometimes seeing animals stuck behind fences and cages makes me sad but then on the other hand educating people on how beautiful these animals are and how we can help make the environment healthy for them, I'm all for. Chester zoo has so many species and 155 were classified as threatened species and 134 species were kept as part of a captive breeding programme. This is the many reasons why I always encourage people to donate to zoo in any kind of way, just so we can keep and have more of these beautiful animals in the world. One of the greatest things about Chester Zoo is that they are the first zoo outside of New Zealand to breed my old friend the Tuatara. It was nice to see a familiar native animal from home, felt a bit less home sick.



After finishing our time off at the zoo we jumped back in the car and headed back to the rental garage to drop off the car before heading home. The car rental garage that I always use in the Nottingham area is SIXT by Nottingham Trent University, I always get such great service there; this is the second time I have hired a car from them. The cars a cheap to hire and run so smoothly, I highly recommend using them in the future as I will be.

This post is not sponsored.