Your morning routine really defines how you day is going pan out and having a regular morning routine will help form healthy habits that will become second nature to you. It will start you day off right and in a positive form.
But then again who has time for a long morning routine, Not me… Having to be at work at 8.30am which is a hour away from home I have not time to be stuffing around.
But these three things I make sure I fit in to my morning routine somehow to start my day off right. Below I have listed three healthy habits that I do every morning to help me to feel focused, calm and energised throughout the day. If you incorporate these three things into your early morning routine, you might start to feel a significant difference in your overall wellbeing.


1. Drink water when you wake up (first thing)
Each morning, I try to drink at least 500mls before I even leave my house, that’s between the hours of 6.30am and 7.30am. This has been proven to have many benefits – including helping to boost your metabolism, increases energy, boosts immune system and promote clear skin. It also happens to be an ancient Japanese method believed to aid in healthy digestion – and you know what? The Japanese really knew what they were talking about! So this is a quick morning habit that I never skip (and yes, you can still have your morning coffee, just drink a glass of water first).


2. Eat a healthy balanced breakfast (even if you just spend 5 minutes)
The first meal of the day is the most important not only dies it kick start your metabolism, but it sets the tone for the day. I love nothing but good healthy balanced breakfast. It changes daily, but I love something that is quick and that is able to travel well. I don't have time at home to eat breakfast, so I take either a smoothie or overnight oats to eat on the train on the way to work or two fresh eggs, avocado and toast to make poached eggs and avocado on toast (I'm lucky enough to have a toaster and a microwave at work to make poached eggs on toast). I can’t say it enough but eat your breakfast before 9am, skipping breakfast will only put your body in to starvation mode and hold on to the fat. So, make sure your breakfast includes whole carbs, healthy fats and protein if possible.

3. Do 5-20 minutes exercise (it’s not what you think, just get up and get your blood flow moving!)
We all know that exercise releases endorphins – and endorphins make you happy! But wait, there’s more. Exercising in the morning help enhance your metabolism, improves you mental and physical energy, reduce your risk of chronic disease and help your skin look amazing. Now, I don’t mean that you have to have an intense work out first thing in the morning but if that what you like to do go ahead. I mean just something to get the blood flowing. Something light like a 20-minute walk, 20 minutes of stretching or yoga, or even just 5 minutes running on the spot. Anything to get the blood flowing. I take the train to bottom of city and then walk for 20minutes uphill to work instead of taking the bus.

If you do these three things before 9am every morning, you may notice that your days start to feel more productive, and you might start to feel a bit more balanced in the rush of life. Remember, you don’t have to dedicate a huge amount of time to each activity, just enough time to drink that water, get the blood flowing and eat a balanced and healthy breakfast!

Try to take a few minutes each morning to do something for you (something to start your day off in a healthier way – you could try one of the things on my list).