I have a thing for coconut and chocolate first my heathy bounty bar and now Coconut rough. I the mixture of the both is my favourite and it gets me drooling just thinking about it. I fondly remember eating coconut rough when I was a kid at friends birthday parties, mint patties, life savers, paddle pops and tons of other sugary treats.

These day I try to stay away from all the sugary treats, they are packed full of sugar and other processed crap that can lead to many behavioural and health issues. So my plan is to find an healthier alternative for these treats and coconut rough is definitely one I can make.

This recipe is super easy to make with only 4 ingredients and only 10 minutes to whip up. Or use this recipe as a base to make a healthy Rocky Road, just add nuts, seeds and dried fruit.

Prep Time: 10Minutes
Total Time: 10 Minutes
Makes 30 Pieces

Ingredients
1 = 1/2 cups shredded organic coconut
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup cacao powder
2 - 3 tablespoons rice malt syrup or pure maple syrup 

Instructions
Place shredded coconut in a frying pan on medium heat and cook for 5 minutes until lightly golden and toasted.

To make the chocolate mixture, melt the coconut oil in a saucepan on low heat. Once melted, remove from heat, add the maple syrup, whisking briskly until well combined. Then add the cacao powder, stirring until well mixed through.

Place the shredded coconut into the saucepan and stir through the chocolate mixture. Spread evenly on a lined baking tray and place in the freezer for 30 - 60 minutes to set.

Slice in desired sized piece and serve. I recommend storing in the freezer to keep it firm.

Notes
The cook time does not allow the time for the coconut rough to set in the freezer, approximately 30-60 minutes.